About Our Program
Much research has been done to show that early therapeutic intervention can mitigate the impact of the exposure of domestic violence on children and is effective in lessening the potential for the generational cycle of abuse to be continued. Addressing the trauma that children are experiencing, even when parents deny that their children are aware of the abuse, can be effective in minimizing the long term impacts of this exposure and improve daily functions and coping strategies. The New Orleans Family Justice Center provides counseling services to children between the ages of 7-17.
Therapy consists of Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Grief and Trauma Intervention (GTI) for Children, provided in a flexible and developmentally appropriate manner to address the unique needs of each child and family.
Through our services, we:
- Provide education to children and their caregivers about the impact of trauma on children and common childhood reactions to trauma.
- Help children and parents identify and cope with a range of emotions.
- Develop personalized stress management skills for children and parents.
- Teach children and parents how to recognize the connections between thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
- Encourage children to share their traumatic experiences either verbally, in the form of a written narrative, or in some other developmentally appropriate manner.
- Help children and parents talk with each other about the traumatic experiences.
- Help parents develop skills for optimizing their children's emotional and behavioral adjustment.